We're Equinor, an international energy company with a proud history. Formerly Statoil, we are 20,000 committed colleagues developing oil, gas, wind and solar energy in more than 30 countries worldwide. We're the largest operator in Norway, among the world's largest offshore operators, and a growing force in renewables. Driven by our Nordic urge to explore beyond the horizon, and our dedication to safety, equality and sustainability, we're building a global business on our values and the energy needs of the future.
The role of the COO organisation is to increase 's value creation by driving consistent long-term safe and efficient operational performance. The COO organisation is responsible for the corporate improvement programs and works closely with the line in continuously improving Equinor's performance.
Would you like to make a difference and help Equinor to take a leading role in the energy transition? Then you might be interested in joining our central Data Science team within the new Technology, Digital and Innovation business area.
We realize that to succeed in the global energy future our organisation needs to improve learning from our data and make better decisions. Natural Language Processing (NLP) now enables knowledge extraction and systematic learning from unstructured data that previously was not possible. Our NLP expert team develops and maintains core NLP technologies and algorithms, language models and NLP pipelines to be used for efficient information retrieval and knowledge extraction. This includes applying recent technology advances in innovative ways to solve business challenges that cannot be solved with traditional technologies.
Equinor’s NLP team is part of a larger team composed of data scientists, MLOps engineers and designers. We work closely with other teams including software engineers and subject matter experts, to name a few. Our preferred way to organise projects is by creating cross-functional, long-living teams. We are located across UK, the US and mainly across three cities in Norway. We welcome diversity! We are among the most diversified teams in Equinor regarding backgrounds, nationalities, genders, age and way of thinking.
The new Technology, Digital and Innovation business area will be a technology powerhouse with a vital role in driving the acceleration of the energy transition within Equinor.
As part of our NLP expert team, you will:
• Develop and maintain core NLP technologies and algorithms, language models and NLP pipelines.
• Rapidly prototype and iterate to build production ready solutions that scale building on existing core solutions or developing new ones
• Improve and develop machine learning models using state-of-the-art techniques within deep learning. Tune the models / architecture efficiently and monitor the models when in production to ensure good performance & value creation
• Work closely with business stakeholders to identify value and business needs and translate them into concrete problem statements that you and your team can deliver on.
• Embed your ML workflows as part of existing or new Equinor ML products, refactor your code to meet our deployment standards
• Source, wrangle, cleanse and analyze large amounts of data in our cloud-based development and production environment
• Identify the right user experience so that the output of your ML workflows can be integrated and be easily interpretable for, and actionable by, the business users
• PhD or Master’s in data science, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or equivalent fields
• Experience developing and productizing real-world AI/ML applications such as prediction, personalization, recommendation, optimization and content understanding
• Experience in ML/AI product development and iterative work: from data generation/collection to visualization and explain ability.
• Experience working with any of the following machine learning frameworks / libraries: sklearn, tensorflow, Pytorch, numpy, scipy, spacy
• Preferred experience within NLP, semantic technologies and graph technology with understanding of fundamental linguistic and grammatical concepts and their use in NLP applications
• Preferred experience working with large data sets using open-source technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, and Solr/elastic search
• Coding skills in Python, experience with containerization and micro-services development
• Good communication skills
• Relevant experience may compensate for formal qualifications.
• 5-7 years of relevant experience preferred.
To succeed within the data science team, you will need to be motivated by creating impact using ML, have a strong self-drive taking ownership and responsibility for your work, and the humility to receive feedback and identify your learning opportunities.
• You are outcome driven and can handle uncertainty
• You believe in fast prototyping, evaluating and changing course when you feel that you are going down a dead end
• You have curiosity beyond ML modeling and are excited about end-to-end aspects of deploying ML models.
• You enjoy creating results through collaboration and work in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Ability to live by our safety and security expectations.
Not just a job: a career. We encourage you to take advantage of the many opportunities our global company offers, and empower you to build your career across multiple disciplines and geographies, exchange ideas and learn from others.
Rewards. We offer a range of reward programmes within one Equinor framework adapted to the local market. This includes competitive salary, variable pay schemes and a share savings plan.
Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well- being are a priority and we appreciate that our employees have commitments outside of work. Whether for family or individual needs, flexibility is important to us all. We recognise that in order for you to be the best version of yourself in the workplace, being able to collect your children, attend a class or simply enjoy social time can be invaluable. We offer opportunities for flexible working.
An inclusive culture. We believe embracing our differences makes us stronger and an inclusive culture is a vital part of our working environment. Diversity for us embraces experience, competence, age, gender, education, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, disabilities, and more – everything that helps shape our thoughts and perspectives. True inclusion means being able to bring your whole self to work, and for everyone to feel accepted and valued.
Make sure that we are able to give your application consideration: Please attach copies of your diplomas, certificates and grades in English or Norwegian (or another Scandinavian language). Applications submitted without such attachments will unfortunately not be evaluated. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please upload an official temporary transcript or other document describing subjects and grades completed to this point.
Our values are to be courageous, open, collaborative and caring. We believe in these qualities, which are essential for building an even stronger Equinor. If you can identify with them, you could be the one to strengthen our team. Candidates are expected to openly offer all relevant information about themselves during the recruitment process.
All permanent and temporary hires will be screened against relevant sanctions lists to ensure compliance with sanctions law and increase security.