Job description/Person specification
Specific responsibilities for which the post holder has a requirement to deliver:
• Leading the FW staff in course delivery for all ETPS FW course training
• The training, supervision and standardisation of FW Flight Test Instructors (FTIs) as appropriate to their appointment
• Driving the right Safety Culture within the FW Team and contributing to the wider Safety Culture.
• Compilation of the FW Annual Training Plan and Course Tracker, detailing aircraft and instructor allocation to each module and sequence of events
• Working in conjunction with other QCFO departments to de-conflict planned events such as maintenance and flight trials
• Maintaining a record of validity of FW staff and student licenses and ratings
• Delivery of training to students in accordance with the syllabus requirements
• Monitoring of FW student progress and production of course reports
• Assessing and grading FW ETPS student flying and reporting standards and providing constructive debriefing and feedback
• Mentoring FW ETPS students and staff thereby enhancing flight safety and accelerating learning
• Annual review of the ATOM, highlighting any non-compliances, errors or requests for change to the HoT
• Work with QCFO management to allocate FW aircrew for other QCFO and QinetiQ Flight Test Organisation (QFTO) tasks
Knowledge, Skills required:
• Holds a valid and appropriate license and FTI rating, operating within the privileges of that license.
• Extensive knowledge of flight test and the evaluation of air platforms and systems
• Proven leadership and flying supervision experience in a flight test environment
• Extensive experience in flight test instruction
• Successful track record in the application of technical assurance and flight test governance
• Providing exemplary leadership to the ETPS FW staff and students
• Delivering world class flight test tuition
• Modernising the ETPS course syllabus and driving continuous improvement
• Teaching all aspects of FW flight test theory and practical techniques to experienced multi-national aircrew.
• Clarifying subject material that is inherently complex so that students of all nationalities can understand and then apply the associated principles.
• Maintaining a safe course environment, working closely with our military colleagues, while challenging students to produce high levels of performance
• Playing a leading role in the continuing high standards of aviation safety inherent in ETPS flying operations
• Distribution of FW aircrew resources to meet the level of tasking in ETPS, QCFO and QFTO
• To ETPS ATO Head of Training for course standards, syllabus content and course delivery.
• To QCFO Head of Flight Operations for other FW flight crew tasking
Personal and Behavioural requirements:
• Proven leadership skills
• Drive and determination
• A professional, proactive and energetic attitude towards course students and our customers
• Well organised, patient and the ability to work calmly under pressure
• An effective team member, focussed on team needs and able to demonstrate empathy with others
• Unquestionable approach to flight safety and adoption of the QCFO Safety Culture
Essential qualifications and competencies:
• Civilian Commercial Pilot’s Licence (CPL) & Instrument Rating (IR) & Class One Medical
• Graduate Test Pilot from one of the ‘Big 4’ TP Schools (ETPS, EPNER, USAFTPS or USNTPS)
• Knowledge of ETPS operation and delivery model
• Ability to maintain aircraft and instrument ratings as required
• Ability to teach flight test subject matter in a classroom and airborne environment
• Ability to review and debrief students’ work in a sensitive, effective and constructive manner.
• Extensive experience of flight test
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
• Instructional experience, preferably in flight test
• Civilian FI, and/or other relevant ratings as required.
• Qualified Flying Instructor
• Knowledge and experience of Defence Systems Approach to training.
• Knowledge and experience of EASA flight test and trg requirements
• Knowledge and experience of Learning Management Systems
• A recognised engineering or science based degree
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?