BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Internal Audit Semi-Senior to work closely with, and support senior members within our public sector internal audit team. Working from our Birmingham the successful Internal Audit Semi-Senior will manage assignments of increasing challenge, complexity and variety, in line with the audit plan and BDO LLP’s internal audit methodologies. There is also the opportunity to study for an additional counter fraud qualification with the intent to lead on fraud investigations.
This is a unique opportunity to join a high growth team where we have actively promoted to senior positions from within our expanding team.
• Develop proficiency in applying audit principles, skills and techniques by performing audit tests of varying degrees of complexity.
• Execute a wide variety of audit tests/ procedures and accurately interpret results against defined criteria, whilst ensuring the work is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
• Apply internal control concepts in a wide variety of settings, and appropriately assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices.
• Understand the financial, operational, and compliance risks which effect activities. Demonstrate the ability to identify and appropriately define those risks, and formulate recommendations which are appropriate, practical and cost-effective.
• Prioritise work so resources are devoted to areas of highest risk in line with the audit needs assessment
• Consistently document relevant facts and information which support the work performed and conclusions drawn, so other reviewers can follow the auditor's logic in line with the BDO internal audit methodology and quality assurance requirements.
• Effectively evaluate audit results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy, and perspective of conclusions against the accumulated audit evidence.
• Be effective in communicating audit results, both verbally and in writing (will be reviewed by senior members) so they are persuasive, placed in the appropriate context, and understood by the recipient.
• Complete work with limited instructions, yet know when to seek guidance from supervising staff when circumstances warrant.
• Be proactive in making business decisions, for example, providing solutions for any client challenges.
• Demonstrate effective time management skills by completing assignments within time budgets and calendar schedules while handling multiple tasks.
• Exhibit creativity and innovation in recommending improvements to audit practices and processes.
The successful Internal Audit Senior will have relevant experience, of which 1 year or more is in internal audit and / or public sector experience. Study support is available but please ensure exam transcripts are enclosed.
• Part way through professional qualifications (ACA, IIA etc)
• Proficient in MS Office (particularly PowerPoint and Excel) and flow charting software such as Visio.
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.