BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
A Business Advisor role will work competently and independently to support a team in the timely delivery of our services. You will be responsible for preparing accounts from source records under supervision accounts (management accounts and statutory accounts), for a variety of client including limited companies, medical practices, trusts and charities. You will also have a good working knowledge of wider financial matters such as the preparation of VAT returns, tax computations, financial disclosure checklists for a variety of clients and may specialise in a particular sector e.g. medical or education.
As part of this role you will also be expected to interpret financial data, present ideas and make recommendations to clients as well as identify business opportunities and develop the ability to introduce other services to our client base.
You will also have responsibility for training and providing support and guidance to more junior staff when necessary.
• Maintain records for our clients using various accounting software packages including Sage Line 50, Xero, Quickbooks
• Process transactions, prepare and post journals, update ledgers, perform bank reconciliation and cash book analysis as required to complete monthly reporting processes.
• Prepare VAT returns
• Undertake financial close procedures e.g. reconciliation of inter-company balances, ledgers, preparation of journals and schedules and prepare monthly management accounts for review
• Using Caseware produce statutory accounts for review for a variety of clients including those reporting under UK GAAP and IFRS
• Perform pentana checker and have a detailed understanding of the disclosures required
• Prepare year end accounting files ready for audit either by internal or external auditors.
• Ability to interpret financial data, proactively present ideas and make recommendations to clients
• Work as part of a team to provide rounded accounting assistance and ensure clients are provided with excellent service.
• Ability to identify opportunities for other BDODrive services
• Ability to identify possibilities for other BDO Services and liaise with manager/relevant departments
• Visit client sites when necessary
• Asks questions to check understanding, avoids assumptions and delivers to expectations
• Proactively seeks knowledge and skills relevant to the role and client needs
• Updates manager regularly with progress reports and delivers work accurately and promptly
• Efficiently delivers service in order to ensure best value for the client whilst maintaining quality
• Has an up to date LinkedIn profile
• Actively develops a network of professional contacts and attends relevant events
• Well organised and planned
• Committed to delivering what is requested and informs superiors of any issues at a early stage
• Has strong time keeping discipline
• Listens to and acts on the advice of others
• Works well in a team
• Proactive in managing own learning and development and knowledge sharing with the team
• Is able to prioritise and manage tasks set
• Is open to feedback from others
• Supports junior members of the team as appropriate
• AAT qualified or equivalent – or just about to qualify
• Might have started studying ACCA or equivalent experience
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel.
• Knowledge of accounting packages (Xero, Quickbooks) and Caseware