BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
BDO is looking for a Financial Reporting Advisory manager to work within its Technical Standards Group. The individual will be required to answer financial reporting queries and deliver financial reporting training on a range of accounting and related legal and regulatory topics and also to conduct technical reviews of the annual reports of BDO’s listed and other higher profile clients.
BDO’s Technical Standards Group (TSG) provides technical support, training and quality control services on financial reporting and assurance matters. Predominantly internally focussed, the department’s principal client is the firm’s audit stream but it also interacts with tax, corporate finance and forensic services teams. TSG comprises approximately 40 staff and is led by two partners.
Financial Reporting Advisory (FRA) is the team within TSG that focusses on financial reporting. Its main activities are answering technical queries, accounts reviews and developing and delivering technical training and similar materials.
Most of the FRA team are based in London but a small number work out of regional offices (Manchester and Birmingham) and visit London from time to time. All members of FRA are occasionally required to visit other offices to provide training and local liaison.
• Review the annual reports of listed and other higher profile clients to confirm compliance with financial reporting standards, company legislation and regulatory requirements
• Provide clear and practical solutions to ad hoc technical accounting queries
• Help develop financial reporting tools and guidance for application by the firm’s partners and staff
• Prepare and present financial reporting training, updates and seminars both internally and externally
• Write articles and other materials on financial reporting matters for internal and external communications
• A good working knowledge of IFRSs, UK GAAP (FRSs 101 and 102) and the Companies Act with the ability to apply that knowledge to complex financial reporting issues and provide practical and supportable solutions
• Practical experience of the review of the annual reports of private and listed companies
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Experience of working within the technical department of a major firm of accountants, although the role would also be suited to an auditor demonstrating a strong technical aptitude looking to move into a technical role
• An ability and desire to work with a client base across a broad range of sectors
• Good interpersonal skills, with ability to create productive relationships across the firm and network and to influence other senior professionals
• A willingness to work as part of a close-knit team and as a self-directed individual
• Highly motivated with a desire to seek new ways of improving our service to internal customers
• ACA or similar professional accountancy qualification, with three or more years PQE
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.