BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
An Assistant Manager will have responsibility for a portfolio of client work reporting directly to the Senior Manager/Partner. This will include all aspects of service delivery from client take on, delivery and client meetings.
In addition to client facing work you will also work to provide support to the Senior Manager/Partner on departmental issues including resourcing, coaching and feedback to more junior members of staff, ensuring compliance with the stream’s policies and procedures and the firm’s risk management procedures.
A key part of the role is also to actively seek new business opportunities arising at existing and new clients as well as taking a proactive part in business development activities such as tender production, networking, and actively promoting all BDODrive service lines both internally and externally to BDO.
Principal Accountabilities and Attributes
• Day to day responsibility for a portfolio of clients
• Responsibility for planning, controlling of projects to ensure their completion to the required standard and within budget
• Briefs the team on the project scope, roles and responsibilities
• Is the teams main point of contact throughout the project with respect to technical and non technical issues
• Prepares of statutory accounts and review of disclosures under UK GAAP and other accounting frameworks including transition to FRS 102
• Prepares consolidation and cash flows for year end statutory accounts
• Prepares other financial reports such as forecasts, profit projections, benchmarking reviews
• Is a champion in a specialist areas eg software packages, VAT,PAYE for your office
• Demonstrates , trains and installs new accounting systems for existing or new clients
• Undertakes client due diligence procedures and prepare/collate relevant documentation for partner review
• Prepares engagement letters for manager and partner review
• Understands and adheres to the firm’s risk management procedures including identification of independence issues and anti-money laundering procedures
• Ensures compliance with our stream’s policies and procedures
• Has a good knowledge of the firms technical resource in order to ensure excellent service is delivered at all times
• Takes an active role in agreeing scope, fee negotiations, billing and WIP provisions
• Is responsible for key clients relationships, being the main point of contact for client queries
• Organises work efficiently to meet project deadlines and client expectations
• Share knowledge and ideas openly with colleagues
• Attends and takes a lead in client meetings with other senior members of the team
• Proactively identifies and acts on potential new business opportunities in our existing client base and targets
• Develops a network of professional contacts both externally and cross stream/office
• Undertakes planned activities to build business development skills
• Contributes to bid documents and proposals
• Attends relevant business seminars
• Supervises, coaches, motivates and develops junior members of the team, reviewing and providing appraisal feedback to staff
• Seeks greater responsibility and rises to the challenge
• Is robust under pressure and calmly faces challenging situations
• Is sought out by colleagues as a valuable source of advice and support
• Makes suggestions and offers potential solutions to problems in a timely manner
• Displays energy and enthusiasm and is focused on achieving results
• Confident in presenting to the team
Technical Knowledge and Professional Qualifications
• Qualified ACA, ACCA or equivalent
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel.
• Excellent knowledge of accounting packages including Xero and caseware
• Experience and good working knowledge of UK GAAP, IFRS and FRS 102
• Experience of managing client assignments
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.