BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
The role holder will report into the head of external communications and will be a part of the external communications team.
The team consists of the head of external communications, a senior PR manager and a senior PR adviser. Our focus is on managing the corporate news and campaigns for BDO while managing overall reputation issues for the firm.
There are three main elements to this role – campaigns, insolvency press office management and press office lead.
The PR manager will be a key part of our ‘new economy’ campaign working with our PR agency and in house research team to develop research based stories and reactive opinion on relevant events in the news agenda. They will also be a focal point for our ‘changing the face of accountancy’ campaign and delivering news around the firm’s investment in technology and in our people into the market.
The PR team puts an emphasis on ‘PR with a purpose’ which not only generates brand profile but also creates content that can be used by our people to enable them to have more profitable conversations with their own target audience. With this in mind, this role will involve close collaborative working with the marketing and internal communications teams on both these campaigns.
As part of these campaigns, the PR Manager will be expected to develop relationships across key national and trade media outlets.
Insolvency press office management
BDO has a separate insolvency press office which manages media enquires around business administrations and insolvency. It is the job of the PR manager to liaise with them and act as final sign off on all statements and escalate issues if required.
The BDO external communications team look after corporate PR for BDO. Specific regional and stream PR is owned by each individual business development manager. However, it is the role of PR manager to sign off on media materials (this duty is shared across the external comms team) and to ensure all BDMs have their stories confirmed in the PR news grid. The PR manager will also advise the BDMs on PR approaches and on any external support required.
The PR manager is also the first port of call for any reactive press queries into the BDO external communications team.
The role is a current one within the team and fills a gap left by the incumbent who is being seconded into the sector PR role for twelve months.
We’re looking for someone who is/has…
• Passionate about ‘PR with a purpose’ which raises brand profile, protects our reputation and enables profitable conversations
• Passionate about creating unique and distinctive stories that resonate with our market
• Strong and evidenced journalist relationships across business and home news pages
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with excellent copywriting, copy editing and proofreading skills
• Takes time out to reflect and understands where they can have the biggest impact
• Prepared to test bold ideas and challenge the status quo
• Is highly organised, methodical and rigorous
• Discrete and trustworthy in dealing in confidential information
• Professional attitude and strong business acumen
• Writes in plain English, removing jargon and management speak
• Pays attention to detail, especially when juggling a high volume of work
• Excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills to deal with internal clients, building trust and rapport
• Flexible in times of ambiguity or conflicting deadlines
• Has high expectations of themselves and their team
• Can be trusted to “get stuff done” and build their own relationships with key stakeholders
• Is used to working to deadlines, even with competing tasks, and manages their time and resource to suit
• Role models our values
• Has an understanding of the external communications channel mix (media, social media, digital) and the relationship between PR and marketing
• Committed to ongoing learning and curious to develop new or existing skills or learn about new (digital) channel opportunities
• Wants to be part of an award-winning team