BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
The Quality and Risk Management Team (QRM) are engaged in providing support, advice and training to partners and staff on quality and risk management matters such as conflict checking, prohibited entities, financial crime, information security, legal and regulatory matters.
The Professional Qualifications Team (PQT) report to the Head of QRM and have a distinct role dealing with the administration and management of all professional qualifications. The ICAEW’s CFAB and ACA qualifications and the exams of the tax professional bodies are the routes most commonly followed by our people. With the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy and the Level 7 apprenticeships for accountancy, the PQT manager will help develop and define the firm’s ongoing apprenticeship strategy.
The Manager will report to the Head of the QRM Team, and work closely with HR, Finance and the business in the defining of and delivery of the firm’s professional qualifications strategy and objectives.
• Support the Head of the QRM Team, who is the firm’s Qualified Person Responsible for Training, in maintaining the firm’s duty of care to our people, and in enforcing the firm’s professional qualifications policies.
• To work with HR and the business to develop our programme of on-going care, coaching and advice to our early in career (EIC) students.
• Managing a team of three administrators who deal with external course bookings, billings, examination bookings and exam results for EIC students.
• Advising the Head of the QRM Team on exam results and recommendations in respect of those who have failed one or more papers. Working closely with colleagues in the HR team to provide support to the Partners and the students.
• Ensuring that bonus and promotions data is provided to HR in a timely manner.
• Assisting in the design and development of apprenticeship programmes that are relevant, engaging and delivering for our EIC students.
• Proactive liaison with HR and Finance on apprentices.
• Assisting in the development and delivery of internal training and induction for EIC students. Liaison with external training providers on courses and syllabus developments.
• Development of procedures and processes to drive efficiencies in the work of the team. Helping to ensure that the firm’s professional qualifications policies are driven by business needs and sound commercial principles and working with the business to support as appropriate.
• Helping to assess the impact of all syllabus changes on the firm’s professional qualifications strategy and support the communication of the impact to our partners and staff.
• Liaison with external bodies including the ICAEW.
• Act as Deputy QPRT including signing training contracts and new counsellor forms.
• Represent the firm on various external groups.
• Communicating -Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• First class organisational skills
• Collaborating -Ability to gain confidence of partners and peers and build strong relationships with colleagues and external bodies.
• Innovating and change – Ability to challenge the status quo, as appropriate, and drive the use of best practice to deliver improvement and development in the firm’s systems. The ability to develop innovative solutions and problem solve.
• Business thinking- Investigates the impact of potential changes in the current market on the firm’s professional qualifications strategies. Adopts and drives a continuous improvement approach to working practices
• Decision making -Ability to work independently; has initiative and is self-motivated.
• Proven team management experience
• Knowledge of professional qualifications such as ACA, CFAB, ACCA and CIMA is desirable.
• Direct relevant work experience is preferred including professional examinations training or experience in a large professional services firm.