BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
The primary responsibility of the IAAM will be to deal with all matters relating to the management of a portfolio of clients. Will also provide assistance to Partners in both client work and in the management of the group and on occasions the wider firm. On occasion may become involved in special assignments on an ad hoc basis.
As an Assistant Manager in FS IA there will be opportunities to work alongside the management team on a variety of engagements covering the spectrum of services that we provide including:
- Creating audit plans delivery of individual and/or a programme of internal audit projects
- Partnering with clients to supply specialist or additional resource
- Process improvement
- Projects control and risk self-assessment training and delivery
- Builds and maintains good working relationships with all clients and colleagues
- Assists in developing audit committee papers for presentation to the manager/Director/partner and in accordance to client timetable
- Assists manager in developing audit plans or annual reports.
- Ensures the efficient and effective delivery of a number of concurrent assignments
- Assists with engagement administration including preparation of engagement letters
- Leads planning meetings
- Ensures terms of reference/audit planning document agreed by client prior to review commencing
- Creates new and reviews existing work programmes to align delivery to terms of reference
- Ensures scope of review is being met and direct involvement in complex or high profile areas
- Ensures team members respond to review points raised
- Advises clients on corporate governance including gap analyses between actual activities and best practice
- Discusses issues as they arise with the internal team and with client management
- Documents field work to a high standard in line with BDO’s IA methodology
- Produces close out documentation and leads close-out meetings with the client
- Sets expectations for production of draft reports to the team. Ensures the draft report is of high standard prior to submission to a manager
- Ensures all manager review points and client comments are addressed into final deliverables
- Ensures file is completed in line with The firms methodology prior to submission to a manager
- Reviews evidence and makes appropriate adjustments to action tracker or equivalent.
- Identifies and pursues business opportunities
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
- Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work. Continuously learns from experiences
- Seeks out feedback and development opportunities
- Gives clear directions, positive and constructive feedback
- Coaches less experienced staff
- Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information
- Builds the reputation of BDO through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external).
Qualifications and skills
The ideal IAAM individual will meet the following criteria:
- Professionally qualified with a recognised accounting/audit body, ACA, ACCA, IIA or CII. Individuals on track to be exam and time qualified this year will also be considered
- Significant audit experience including practical experience ideally in a Big 4 Accountancy firm or mid-tier firm
- Exposure to financial services internal audits within the insurance sector (within insurance, broking or reinsurance) is essential.