BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
Opening date: 31/01/2018
Closing date: 28/02/2018
BDO is looking for a Financial Reporting Advisory manager, with insurance entity experience, to work within its Technical Standards Group. The individual will be required to answer financial reporting queries and deliver financial reporting training on insurance-related topics and also to conduct technical reviews of the annual reports of BDO’s insurance clients. The individual will also be expected to deal with queries arising on other non-insurance topic areas and perform accounts reviews of non-insurance clients.
BDO’s Technical Standards Group (TSG) provides technical support, training and quality control services on financial reporting and assurance matters. Predominantly internally focussed, the department’s principal client is the firm’s audit stream but it also interacts with tax, corporate finance and forensic services teams. TSG comprises approximately 40 staff and is led by two partners.
Financial Reporting Advisory (FRA) is the team within TSG that focusses on financial reporting. Its main activities are answering technical queries, accounts reviews and developing and delivering technical training and similar materials.
Most of the FRA team are based in London, and this is the ideal location for this role, but a small number work out of regional offices (Manchester and Birmingham) and visit London from time to time. All members of FRA are occasionally required to visit other offices to provide training and local liaison.
• Review the annual reports of publicly traded and other higher risk clients, particularly from (but not limited to) the financial services sector (Insurance), to confirm compliance with financial reporting standards, company legislation and regulatory requirements
• Provide clear and practical solutions to ad hoc technical accounting queries
• Help develop financial reporting tools and guidance for application by the firm’s partners and staff
• Prepare and present financial reporting training, updates and seminars both internally and externally
• Write articles and other materials on financial reporting matters for internal and external communications
• A good working knowledge of IFRSs, UK GAAP (FRSs 101 and 102) and the Companies Act with the ability to apply that knowledge to complex financial reporting issues and provide practical and supportable solutions
• Knowledge and experience of accounting for financial instruments under IFRSs and FRS 102
• Practical experience of the review of the annual reports of private and publicly traded companies, particularly within the financial services (insurance) sector
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Experience of working within the technical department of a major firm of accountants, although the role would also be suited to an auditor demonstrating a strong technical aptitude looking to move into a technical role
• An ability and desire to work with a client base beyond that of purely insurance sector entities
• Good interpersonal skills, with ability to create productive relationships across the firm and network and to influence other senior professionals
• Willingness to work as part of a close-knit team and as a self-directed individual
• Highly motivated with a desire to seek new ways of improving our service to internal customers
• ACA or similar professional accountancy qualification, with three or more years PQE
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.