BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
The purpose of this role is to provide senior leadership to the team undertaking business restructuring work, including leading and managing cases and at times deputising for Partners. This comprises planning, monitoring and reviewing all work prepared by junior team members in the group and assisting in the generation and exploitation of marketing opportunities.
In addition to the responsibilities of a BR Manager, this role also involves leading larger, complex cases, reporting directly to Partners and developing and strengthening working relationships with clients.
There will be a requirement to continue developing technical skills and knowledge through on-the-job experience and training, particularly as this relates to developing a specialist field of client knowledge and expertise.
- Plan, monitor and review all work in the group and, on occasions, deputise for the directors/ partners
- Lead and control larger, more complex BR cases – Advisory, Restructuring and Formal appointments
- Ensure client relationships are properly documented
- Ensure that all reports and materials are produced at an acceptable and accurate quality and comply with external regulations and internal procedures
- Ensure that all correspondence is dealt with effectively
- Ensure that all reports and material produced are of an acceptable standard and comply with regulations, SIPs and internal procedures & requirements
- Ensure adequate resources available for each case and to achieve budgets
- Produce realistic budgets for agreement with partner and client
- Manage billing, work in progress and cash collection to minimise lock-up
- Continue to develop expertise in business restructuring area and share knowledge with both junior and senior colleagues
- Effectively manage projects, balancing quality control, budget, the timetable and client expectations
- Other duties and responsibilities as delegated Line Management:
- Monitor junior staff and ensure that adequate on the job training and coaching is provided
- Responsible for building and maintaining team morale
- Responsible for monitoring and managing staff performance
- Conduct appraisals twice a year for all staff within team, which are honest, open, constructive and with agreed outcomes
- Play an active role in the creation and implementation of development plans for all team members
- Provide a variety and challenging amount of work for less experienced staff to aid in retention and career development
Sales and Marketing:
- Originating and exploiting marketing opportunities
- Recognising business opportunities and work with the partners to develop these
- Identify and involve appropriately skilled staff in pursuing new business opportunities
Communication and representation:
- Develop contact with clients at senior level and maintain contact with other levels as appropriate to ensure the firm has the confidence of the client.
- Act as a liaison between the client and other specialist service groups within BDO
- Relevant professional qualification preferable (ACA/ACCA/CIMA and ideally JIEB)
- Relevant technical and management experience at a similar level/ in a similar role
- Hold, develop and maintain an in-depth technical knowledge
- Demonstrate clear understanding of regulatory and statutory requirements together with specific client expectations
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant computer packages specific to the business stream preferred.
Experience within a Professional Services Environment:
- Contingency Planning for creditor and debtor stakeholders
- Restructuring Options Analysis
- Cash flow forecasting, management and improvement strategies
- AMA/Pre-pack Administration processes
- Independent Business Reviews
- Appraising management’s business plans, including financial and strategic analysis
- Core Insolvency Experience