BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
A Trainee Business Advisor role will primarily involve working closely with, and supporting senior members within the team, and assisting in the timely delivery of services. You will gain understanding and experience of preparing a set of accounts from source records under supervision (management accounts and statutory accounts), for a variety of clients including sole traders, partnerships, limited companies and medical practices. You will also gain experience of wider financial matters such as the preparation of VAT returns, tax computations, financial statement disclosure checklists for a variety of clients.
As part of this role you will also be expected to have a good working knowledge of all our service lines, identify business opportunities and develop the ability to introduce other services to our client base. You will also have the ability to interpret financial data, present ideas and make recommendations.
Principal Accountabilities and Attributes
• Maintain records for our clients using various accounting software packages including Sage Line 50, Xero, Quickbooks
• Process transactions, prepare and post journals, update ledgers, perform bank reconciliation and cash book analysis as required to complete monthly reporting processes.
• Prepare both management and statutory accounts for clients from software packages for manager review.
• Undertake financial close procedures e.g. reconciliation of inter-company balances, ledgers, preparation of journals and schedules
• Using final accounts package to produce statutory accounts for review and perform pentana checker
• Prepare year end accounting files ready for audit either by internal or external auditors.
• Prepare VAT returns
• Prepare tax computations
• Ability to interpret financial data, present ideas and make recommendations to managers
• Work as part of a team to provide ad-hoc accounting assistance and ensure clients are provided with excellent service.
• Visit to client sites when necessary
• Ability to identify opportunities for other services
• Ask questions to check understanding, avoid assumptions and deliver to expectations
• Proactively seek knowledge and skills relevant to the role and client needs
• Update manager regularly with progress reports and delivers work accurately and promptly
• Efficiently deliver service in order to ensure best value for the client whilst maintaining quality
• Has an up to date LinkedIn profile
• Actively develops a network of professional contacts and attends relevant events
• Well organised and planned
• Committed to delivering what is requested and informs superiors of any issues at a early stage
• Has strong time keeping discipline
• Listens to and acts on the advice of others
• Works well in a team
• Proactive in managing own learning and development
• Is able to prioritise and manage tasks set
• Is open to feedback from others
Technical Knowledge and Professional Qualifications
• Part AAT qualified
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel.
• Knowledge of accounting packages (Xero, Quickbooks, IRIS, Sage, Caseware)
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.