BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
We are looking for an experienced PeopleSoft Developer to be part of our team looking after PeopleSoft. The team is responsible for support and development of Financials (BI, AR, PC, AP, GL) and HR systems along with a bespoke CRM system. You will be expected to work on a rota system when on support duties with the team covering the hours of 8.30am to 5.30pm. The standard BDO working hours are 9.30am – 5.30pm.
The purpose of this role is to assist with developing, supporting and maintaining the core applications that are used by BDO. As a member of the Enterprise team you will be part of the overall governance of IT solutions and will be required to engage in all technical areas of IT. This role reports to the Enterprise Solutions Manager.
Within this role you will combine developing applications and supporting the firm’s solutions by responding to the IT project pipeline, resolving incidents and requests for service from BDO Partners and people, and on occasion BDO clients under the guidance of a senior developer.
• Responsible for the design, code and unit testing of applications to meet the firm’s requirements
• Adhere to coding standards either internal or external
• Adhere to relevant standards and processes regarding source control
• Demonstrate creative flair and the ability to pay attention to detail
• Contribute to the design, code and unit testing estimates, plan and utilise their time effectively
• Contribute to design of the applications including recognised best practice
• Responsible for the development of applications including functional and non-functional requirements
• Understand and include different types of devices, considering constraints of hardware, operating systems or browsers for the solutions
• Be aware and inclusive of accessibility guidelines and best practice in technology solutions
• Contribute and adhere to technical and service governance standards whilst building and maintaining solutions
• Adhere to change processes
• Produce high quality documentation as required
• Raise issues should they occur and provide potential solutions and recommendations
• Adhere to external best practice and governance such as ITIL and ISO
• Identify constraints, pre-requisites and financial impact to the Enterprise systems
• Contribute to the planning and development and deployment of systems and services
• Provide proactive maintenance on support issues to ensure that we deliver excellent customer service
• Assist with daily checks and proactive monitoring of the systems
• IT Governance
o Ensure that agreed standards and working practices are followed
o Highlight any non-conformance with agreed standards and working practices with the IT Director
Knowledge and experience:
• Experience of supporting and developing PeopleSoft Financials and/or HRMS
• Experience of the PeopleTools product set including PeopleCode, Application Designer, Component Interface and Application Engine. Ideally version 8.54 or above
• A functional understanding of two or more of the Financials modules AP, AR, BI, PC and GL
• Experience of working with reporting tools including Crystal, SQR and nVision
• Experience with relational databases ideally SQL Server
• Experience of working in larger organisations with the capability to adhere to processes and deliver code and documentation to high quality standards and challenging deadlines
• Knowledge of structured analysis and design techniques
• HTML knowledge would be of interest although is not essential as training will be provided
• You will be given the opportunity to learn new technologies where appropriate e.g. PowerBI
• A self-starter that needs minimum supervision
• Flexible to work on a variety of issues at one time, managing workload and reporting progress and issues professionally
• Flexible to work out of hours if required and to provide support cover for holidays/sickness of other team members
• Demonstrate ownership and responsibility when dealing with tasks
• Able to supervise and train more junior members of staff
• Proactively keep abreast of IT industry trends and technology changes
• Able to work effectively within a team structure to support the goals of the wider team
• Able to communicate and present ideas to others in a professional and confident manner
• Assertive enough to influence and challenge themselves and others to drive the best solutions
• Ability to embrace and support change
• Provide excellent customer service and consulting skills
• Demonstrable skills in influencing and negotiation methods and techniques
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.