BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world's fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements - Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you'll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
The role holder will be a senior member of the VAT group, responsible for assisting Partners in servicing clients, directing Tax services and managing people within the Tax department. Whilst the candidate will be expected to advise across all sectors the primary focus of the role will be to advise within the real Estate sector and work closely with the existing Real Estate team.
Be responsible for approving and signing off work in accordance with the firm’s standards under terms of “tax licence”.
A significant part of the role will be business development of existing and new clients as well as potentially developing a specialist field of technical and/or sector knowledge and expertise.
- Act as a major point of contact within the firm for the client together with the partner. This will include responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided, and maintaining regular contact with clients
- Manage a portfolio of clients including control of billings and cash collection within the firms criteria
- Regular involvement with tax planning and complex tax issues in conjunction with Partners/Directors
- Fulfil a consultancy role on ad hoc projects within their field of specialist knowledge
- Ensure assignments are completed within agreed budgets and keep client/partner informed of overruns and plan staff assignments in order to give an appropriate spread of experience
- Ensure that the Firm’s quality control procedures are adhered to including second partner review
- Responsible for the review and delivery for the final advice to clients, subject to sign off from Partners
- Identify risk and technical matters, as well as selling opportunities, to the Partner, whilst exercising judgement within agreed parameters
- Must provide overall support to Partners on client matters and assist Partners in the management of the group, this will include support at times for the recruitment and appraising of staff
- Will work as part of management team with other Tax managers within the business group, and provide support to the rest of the Tax team
- Actively participate in the management of the group through partner/manager meetings and by attendance at social functions
- Training must be provided to more junior staff both on the job and through monitoring exam and on the job performance, whilst consistently providing feedback
- Counsel, appraise, develop and motivate staff as appropriate
- Responsible for coaching and developing junior members of staff
Sales and Marketing:
- Must be able to recognise business and sales opportunities and progress these forward with Partner support
- Participate in bids/proposals for new work
- Able to take advantage of marketing/PR opportunities
- Develop own network of contacts internally and externally and start winning own work
Communication and representation:
- Develop contact with clients at senior level and maintain contact with other levels as appropriate to ensure the firm has the confidence of the client
- Act as a liaison between the client and other specialist service groups within BDO Contribute centrally by lecturing on internal courses
- Consult with colleagues and Partners on technical and risk matters.
- Maintain an in depth, up to date, knowledge of taxation particular with reference to the real estate sector and indirect tax
- Specialist knowledge and the ability to deal with complex tax issues
- Project management experience
- Staff management experience
- Ability to manage a substantial client portfolio profitably
- Actively seek opportunities for developing new clients and for selling new services to existing clients
- Experience of dealing with client senior management
- Preferably educated to degree level and/or CTA and/or ACA qualified or equivalent
- Demonstrable post qualified experience