BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
The purpose of this role is to assist with developing, supporting and maintaining the core applications that are used by BDO. As a member of the IT Development team you will be part of the overall governance of IT solutions and will be required to engage in all technical areas of IT. This role reports to the IT Development Manager.
Within this role you will combine developing applications and supporting the firm’s solutions by responding to the IT project pipeline, resolving incidents and requests for service from BDO Partners and people, and on occasion BDO clients but under the guidance of a senior developer.
- Responsible for the design, code and unit testing of applications to meet the firm’s requirements under the guidance of a senior developer where applicable.
- Be heavily involved in the end-to-end development of development team solutions, particularly the design and development of integrations with database and web-based platforms.
- Demonstrate creative flair and the ability to pay attention to detail – always looking to innovate.
- Contribute to design of the applications
- Responsible for the development of applications including functional and non-functional requirements under the guidance of a senior developer
- Understand and include different types of devices, considering constraints of hardware, operating systems or browsers for the solutions
- Be aware and inclusive of accessibility guidelines and best practice in technology solutions
- Work closely with colleagues, developers and end users to ensure the solution meets business requirements and is delivered in a timely manner.
- Contribute and adhere to technical and service governance standards whilst building and maintaining solutions
- Raise issues and provide potential solutions and recommendations should they occur
- Complete appropriate project and technical documentation under the guidance of a senior developer
- Provide proactive maintenance on support issues to ensure that we deliver excellent customer service
- IT Governance
- Ensure that agreed standards and working practices are followed
- Adhere to relevant standards and processes regarding source control
- Adhere to external best practice and governance such as ITIL and ISO
- Adhere to change processes and produce high quality technical documentation
- Highlight any non-conformance with agreed standards and working practices with the IT Director
Knowledge and experience:
- 2+ years Industry experience and/or relevant IT degree.
- Experience and exposure of some or all of the following
- Microsoft, C# / ASP.NET, SQL and HTML/CSS/JS
- Awareness of the various technical tools and software
- VSTS, PowerBI, BOT technologies, Azure, RPA.
- Awareness of software development methodologies
- Awareness of structured analysis and design techniques
- Awareness of authentication, access and identity management technology
- Awareness of ITIL processes
- Awareness of application integration at the various levels application, application interface or data layer
- People/Team Management
- Passionate about their career and delivering quality solutions
- Flexible to work on a variety of solutions, manages workload and report progress and issue professionally
- Able to work effectively within a team structure to support the goals of the wider team
- Ability to embrace and support change
- A self-starter that needs minimum supervision
- Proactively keep abreast of IT industry trends and technology changes
- Flexible to work out of hours if required
Demonstrate confidence in dealing with project team members
Demonstrate ownership and responsibility when dealing with tasks
Excellent customer service and consulting skills
Demonstrable skills in influencing and negotiation methods and techniques
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.