BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
The purpose of this role is to provide support to senior colleagues in the provision of Pensions Advisory work to the team’s clients.
Whilst mainly working within a team environment, certain projects may entail working directly for a senior colleague(s) or other defined group. There will be opportunities to continue developing technical skills and knowledge through on the job experience and formal training.
The role will require accounting skills and experience, in the context of delivering solutions and advice to clients. Previous Pensions Advisory experience would be helpful but it is not a pre-requisite.
The Pensions Advisory team provides the following defined benefit pensions advisory services to Trustees, Employers and overseas parents:
- Employer Covenant Assessment – undertaking financial reviews of sponsoring employers of defined benefit pension schemes (similar to an independent business review). We act for both Trustees and Employers in assessing the strength of an employer’s covenant for the purpose of scheme funding negotiations and transactions.
- Transactions/ restructuring – undertaking reviews of the impact of transactions such as re-financings, mergers and acquisition on the employer covenant. Supporting trustees and corporate clients through negotiations and dealings with the Pension Protection fund (“PPF”) and the Pensions Regulator (“tPR”). Providing advice in respects of restructurings which require the involvement of the PPF and the eventual entry of all or part of a pension scheme into the PPF.
- Regulatory – Proving support to corporates and trustees in respect of regulatory interventions including the use by tPR of its moral hazard powers. Providing expert witness services in respect of the use by tPR of its powers.
Sales and Marketing:
- Support the production of employer covenant review reports
- Carry out analysis for senior colleagues
- Draft sections employer covenant reports
- Support the senior colleagues in project managing cases
- Take responsibility for ensuring client take on, and related administrative procedures, are carried out in accordance with the firms processes.
- Be alert to new business and sales opportunities and take the initiative to realise such opportunities when they arise
- Share ideas and initiatives with appropriate colleagues
- Participate in the marketing initiatives of others
Communication and representation:
- Act as a liaison between a client and other specialist service groups within BDO
- Demonstrate a positive attitude towards the Firm and its client service principles
- ACA or expected to attain ACA within 6 months
- Strong Excel and Power-point skills
- Strong report writing and communication skills
- Willingness to fully participate in a close team environment
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.