BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
A Manager’s primary responsibility is to manage the team on a day to day basis and to build and sustain external and internal client relationships. You have responsibility for the management of a portfolio of clients including fee negotiations, control of billings and cash collections within the firm’s criteria.
In managing an assignment you will determine resource requirements, monitor team progress against budget and timeframes, review work of more junior members of the team and resolve issues prior to Director or Partner review.
As a manager you will play a key role in developing relationships with existing clients and proactively seeking out new opportunities for BS&A as well as engaging with other departments to ensure a cross stream approach to business development activities.
Principal Accountabilities and Attributes
- Manage client assignments, which includes determining the resource requirements, monitoring progress against budget and established timeframe, review of work completed by junior team members and resolving all project issues prior to Partner and Director review.
- Manage the overall team on a day-to-day basis.
- Manage a portfolio of clients including client take on procedures, agreeing scope, fee negotiations, control of billings and cash collections within the firm’s criteria.
- Acts as a major point of contact within the firm for the client together with the partner. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to
- Recruit, retain, develop and motivate our employees (includes participating in recruitment, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for appraisees).
- Work as part of management team on issues such as resource planning, staff retention, merit rate meetings, improving our tools and processes and efficiency gains
- Keep up to date with all technical developments in order to ensure continued excellent delivery of services to the client.
- May develop a specialism and actively work to identify new business opportunities in that market
- Build sustainable relationships with clients, and take point responsibility for delivering answers to clients in most cases.
Puts quality first in every client interaction by ensuring accuracy, timeliness and honesty
Encourages team members to put their ideas forward to improve the BDO experience for clients
Acts within agrees fees, scope, deliverables and timescales and support the team to deliver on promises
Solicits feedback from clients and acts promptly to amend or improve client service
Escalates potential overruns and does not put off difficult conversations
- Identify and recognise new project and business opportunities for BS&A, and inform the partner and client as appropriate. Acts as an ambassador of the firm, participates in marketing events, keeps abreast of the wide range of services the firm offers and suggests innovative products and services.
Contributes to bidding for new work and supports senior people as needed
Builds relationships with existing clients and seeks out new opportunities
Takes the time to reflect on and learn from experience
Understands wider BDO service offering and can spot opportunities outside the stream
Personally invests the time and energy in building BD and management skills
Encourages others to build networks and get into the market
Introduces professional contacts to others as appropriate
Demonstrates a “can do” attitude for assignments and is enthusiastic to learn new skills
Takes personal responsibility for delivery of projects and tasks
Is an effective people manager and delivers results through others
Coaches team members to deliver results
Knows when to delegate and when to take personal responsibility
Undertakes effective performance reviews discussions with team members
Seeks regular feedback on own performance and acts on findings
Sets realistic but stretching performance targets for self and others
Understands their impact on other people
Knows own strengths and limitations
Undertakes difficult conversations when necessary
Acknowledges and praises people for their effort and achievements
Offers solutions rather than presenting problems
Technical Knowledge and Professional Qualifications
ACCA Qualified or equivalent
Proficient at Microsoft Office especially Excel.
Excellent knowledge of accounting packages eg. Xero, Sage Quickbooks etc
Excellent knowledge of UK GAAP and FRS 102, experience of Caseware and consolidations preferred.
Experience of managing client assignments
Experience of identifying and developing new business leads
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.