BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
This role within the Guildford Private Client team will provide tax compliance and advisory services for a wide range of regional, London and internationally based clients.
The primary responsibility will be to deal with all matters relating to the management of a portfolio of clients. You will also provide assistance to Managers/Directors/Partners in both client work, business development and the management of the team. Although based in Guildford there will be occasions to work from London and other offices.
The role holder will support and be involved in the continued expansion of PCS advisory work generally for HNWIs including tax areas such as international (residence, non doms and overseas trust/company structures), private equity, UK property, trusts and owner managed businesses.
Career progression to Tax Manager would be expected at the appropriate time, subject to experience, performance, appraisal and assessment.
• Responsible for all day to day tax compliance and advisory affairs of clients, whilst being supervised by Manager/Director/Partner, including communicating with clients
• Act as a key point of contact within the firm for your client portfolio, together with more senior team members. This will involve responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided, and maintaining regular contact with clients
• To ensure assignments are completed within agreed budgets and keep client/Manager/Partner informed of WIP position on a regular basis.
• Management of portfolio of clients, the control of billings and cash collection within the firm’s criteria.
• Review of work prepared by more junior members of staff.
• Ensure that the firm’s quality control procedures are adhered to including appropriate review of work.
• Identify risk and technical matters to senior members of team
• Will work as part of a team with other tax managers within the business group, and provide support to the rest of the tax team
• Participate in the growth of the business including contribution through Partner/Manager meetings and by attendance at events
• Must be able to recognise business development opportunities and inform and work with senior team members and develop these when they arise. Participate in bids/proposals for new work including initial meetings.
• There will be an expectation that you will take full responsibility for project delivery
• Ensure professional standards are met and supervise, support and develop more junior staff
• Will work as part of management team with other tax managers within the business group, and provide support to the rest of the Tax team
• Training must be provided to more junior staff both on the job and through monitoring exam and on the job performance, whilst consistently providing feedback
• Counsel, appraise, develop and motivate staff as appropriate
Communication and representation:
• Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
• Work on own initiative and provide an efficient and pro active service to clients and ensure that the clients’ needs are fully met
• Pay attention to self-development and continuing professional education with a view to progressing within practice
• To support and work as a team player in achieving activities for their business area
• Consult with colleagues and Partners on technical and risk matters.
You would be expected to be able to demonstrate 75-90 % of the accountabilities highlighted.
• Starting to gain staff management experience
• Significant understanding of and previous experience within tax compliance
• Some tax advisory experience preferable but not essential
• Supervisory experience
• Maintain an in depth, up to date, knowledge of taxation
• Ability to manage a small client portfolio
• To actively seek opportunities for selling new services to existing clients
• Some experience of dealing with client senior management
• Educated to degree level, and/or CTA and/or ACA qualified or equivalent
• Demonstrable post qualified experience
Our Agency Policy
BDO has a commitment to building relationships directly with candidates (and agencies) in our local markets and as such, we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We work closely with our preferred suppliers to support us in sourcing quality candidates but we only pay agency fees where we have a signed agreement in place and an agency has been instructed by a member of the BDO Resourcing team. We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to BDO by any means other than through our recruitment portal. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the BDO Resourcing team, BDO reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment of any agency fee.